Go back to the map

Monument for J. Tartilavičius-Batakietis, Introducer of reformation in Lithuania

Koordinatės: 55.490877, 22.188925
Objekto adresas: Nepriklausomybės st. 8 Šilalė, Lithuania
Savivaldybė: Bezirk Šilalė

The memorial stone for Jonas Tartilavičius-Batakietis (Tartylowicz Batocki, ?–1558), who preached Evangelical teachings and promoted ideas of Reformation while working as a priest in Šilalė in 1525-1527, was opened near the Evangelical Lutheran Church at Nepriklausomybės st. 8 in 1993. According to his name, he originated from Batakiai area. When Orvydai built a church in Šilalė, J. Tartilavičius most likely became its first parson, but instead of preaching Catholic faith, in 1535-1536 he was the first to start promoting ideas of Reformation in Lithuania. The parson of Šilalė soon fell into disfavour of the Samogitian bishop and in 1536 had to retreat to the Kingdom of Prussia, which had already accepted the ideas of Reformation. Convinced of J. Tartilavičius' abilities, the Duke Albrecht appointed him as a priest in Įsrutis (Ger. Insterburg) and later to Engelstein. J. Tartilavičius is also regarded as promoter of Lithuanian spirit, because, while promoting the ideas of reformation, he preached to Lithuanians only in Lithuanian language.
In J. Tartilavičius’ days reformation didn't gain popularity in Šilalė, but on the second half of the 16th c. the town already had its own Evangelical Lutheran community, protected by Kazimieras Orvydas, owner of Šilalė Manor and graduate of Königsberg University. It is likely that the 'heretics’ had even taken over of the only church in Šilalė. Later, Orvydai family supported Catholicism and reformation was extinguished. However, in the late 18th c. Šilalė and its surroundings attracted a large number of craftsmen from Prussia, forming a new and rather large Evangelical Lutheran community. That is also mentioned on the monument: 'On this ground in 1806 there was a wooden Evangelical Lutheran church, which burned down in 1833, was replaced by a new one in 1836, which also burned down on 22 June 1941'. The modern-day church, established in a rebuilt residential building at Nepriklausomybės st. 8 during the days of the National Revival has been consecrated in 1991.

Compiled in 2018

 

Submitted: Šilalės rajono savivaldybės viešoji biblioteka | J. Basanavičiaus g. 15, LT-75138 Šilalė | info@silalesbiblioteka.lt | http://www.silalesbiblioteka.lt

The object available in the following routes
 
  • Description:

    Paminklas reformacijos pradininkui J. Tartilavičiui–Batakiečiui : [skaitmeninė nuotrauka] / Rima Norvilienė. - Šilalė, 2018. - 1 vaizdas

    Source: Šilalės rajono savivaldybės viešoji biblioteka, Kraštotyros ir bibliografijos fondas

    Publisher: Šilalės rajono savivaldybės viešoji biblioteka

    Contributor: Šilalės rajono savivaldybės viešoji biblioteka

    Type / format: Skaitmeninė nuotrauka / jpg

    Rights: CC BY-NC

    Paminklas reformacijos pradininkui J. Tartilavičiui–Batakiečiui
  • Description:

    Paminklinis akmuo J. Tartilavičiui–Batakiečiui : [skaitmeninė nuotrauka] / Rima Norvilienė. - Šilalė, 2018. - 1 vaizdas

    Source: Šilalės rajono savivaldybės viešoji biblioteka, Kraštotyros ir bibliografijos fondas

    Publisher: Šilalės rajono savivaldybės viešoji biblioteka

    Contributor: Šilalės rajono savivaldybės viešoji biblioteka

    Type / format: Skaitmeninė nuotrauka / jpg

    Rights: CC BY-NC

    Paminklinis akmuo J. Tartilavičiui–Batakiečiui