Go back to the map
Koordinatės: 55.553956700000015, 21.11834049999993 Objekto adresas: Witch Hill, Juodkrante, Neringa, Lithuania Savivaldybė: Neringa
The Juodkrantė lighthouse was built in 1953 on Witch Hill, which has an elevation of 53 m. The lighthouse tower is black in colour, metal, and quadrangular. Its bottom part is openwork, and its upper part is sheathed with planks with a viewing platform located up there. The lighthouse is fitted with a lighting facility whose white-light signals (3 seconds on, 5 seconds off) are visible at a distance of 33 km (18 nautical miles). It is Lithuania’s most mysterious lighthouse. Surrounded by dense forests and the nearby hills, only the upper part of the lighthouse is visible from the side of the sea (900 m to the sea), whereas from the lagoon side, it is fully out of sight. Earlier in the 2nd half of 19th century, there was a glass observation pavilion, called “Wernher’s Look”, standing on Witch Hill. At that point in time, the pavilion revealed a panorama with views of the sea, the towers of Klaipėda, the Great Dune in Nida and the other coast of the lagoon. The Juodkrantė lighthouse is 19.7 m in height and is still used as a navigational facility operating within the overall chain of other maritime lighthouses in Lithuania.
Compiled in 2018
Submitted: Nidos kultūros ir turizmo informacijos centras „Agila“ | Taikos g. 4, Nida, LT-93121 Neringa | +370 469 52345