Go back to the map
Koordinatės: 55.55238723699412, 21.127460747637997 Objekto adresas: Northern part of Juodkrante, Neringa, Lithuania Savivaldybė: Neringa
In 1855, while canalizing the waterway near Juodkrantė, the workers discovered amber in the silt soil. Shortly after that, various businessmen expressed their interest in this discovery. The first person to start the works of organized excavation of mud from the bottom of the Lagoon for amber search was former miller, owner of ships, later Klaipėda innkeeper Vilhelmas Stantynas. When merchants from Dancig joined him, a company of amber excavation from the Lagoon’s bottom was founded. The Government also contributed to the company’s activity, since it canalized the ships navigation channel between Klaipeda and the Coast and wanted to have a benefit from amber search works for itself as well. Having united the efforts, the company began to flourish.
Richard Klebs deserved the most for preserving the collection, therefore, quite often the treasure is named after him. Having organized exhibitions in various cities of the world, this treasure became known and famous in the whole world. After the World War II, only 5 findings were left of Juodkrante’s treasure: three human figures, a hanger of phallus shape, and double ornamented disc. Along with other remained exhibits of the treasure, they are kept in Museum of Geology and Palaeontology of Goetingen University. According to descriptions and drawings from the book of R. Klebs, the artist Bronė Kunkulienė made two sets of amber moulages, which currently are exhibited in Palanga Amber Museum and in Mizgiriai Amber Gallery in Nida.
Submitted: Nidos kultūros ir turizmo informacijos centras „Agila“ | Taikos g. 4, Nida, LT-93121 Neringa | +370 469 52345