Go back to the map
The Monument, Commemorating Ten Years of Lithuania's Independence in Kretinga (The Freedom Monument)
Koordinatės: 55.88875, 21.241813 Objekto adresas: Rotušės square, Kretinga, Lithuania Savivaldybė: Bezirk Kretinga
To commemorate the 10th anniversary of the re-establishment of independence of the Republic of Lithuania, monuments were built in all of the cities and towns of Lithuania. Kretinga was no exception: the Freedom Monument was place in the Kretinga Public Square (formerly known as Market Square, and as of 1990 – City Hall Square). The monument was funded by the Kretinga Division of the Lithuanian Riflemen's Union.
The sanded pink granite monument is composed of three parts: a podium with stairs, the main part, and the top part. A sword and shield, bearing the cross of Vytis, are placed on the front part of the monument's chest.
A copper plaque is found above it. The following is written on the plaque: “To commemorate the independence of Lithuania / 1918-1928”. A copper figurine of Vytis can be found right above the plaque.
The Columns of Gediminas are placed on the top of the back façade and a plaque is located at the bottom. The following is written on the bronze plaque: “Stop, dear Lithuanian, and give honour to the freedom of Lithuania. Think about whether you are walking in their footsteps...”.
The construction of the monument continued for 3 years. The monument was consecrated in 1931 by Augustinas Dirvelė, a Franciscan priest from Kretinga.
In 1948, the government ordered the take-down of the Freedom Monument and it was immediately thrown into the Akmena River. The only remaining part of the monument was the podium, which stood there until the next reconstruction of the square in the 1970s.
In 1990, the citizens of Kretinga organised the recreation of the monument. The plan was build it in City Hall Square. It was unveiled and consecrated on the day of the Restoration of Independent State of Lithuania.
One week prior the unveiling of the monument, a capsule, encasing the chronicles of the city, was inserted and concreted in the base of the monument. The following people worked on the construction of the monument: Edmundas Giedrimas – architect and writer of the chronicles, E. Jasinskas – works manager, V. Stonys – mason, S. Rumeika – citizen of the city, A. Kaknevičius – the Chairman of the Sąjūdis Board, Z. Krakauskas.
The upper part of the restored monument was made from pink granite, while the podium was built using grey granite. The podium indicates the dates of the original placement, destruction, and restoration of the monument. Robertas Antinis Jr. restored the ornaments of the monument.
There is a tree nearby, which was planted by Antanas Smetona, one of the former presidents of Lithuania. On February 16th, 1990, another oak tree was planted next to the monument.
Source: Kretingos enciklopedija
Submitted: Kretingos rajono savivaldybės M. Valančiaus viešoji biblioteka
The object available in the following routes